Sol-U-Guard Botanical is the best, non-toxic disinfectant on the market today, made with natural ingredients, thyme oil and citric acid, it kills 99.9% of common household germs and viruses in 10 minutes on non porous surfaces. I have been using it since 2008 after researching safe ways to clean my birds cages, because birds are very sensitive to toxins.
Sol-U-Guard is manufactured in the USA, and sold worldwide by a company that has been in existence since 1985 with an excellent track record of safety and quality.
I want to discuss some important issues in this post that I feel every bird owner should know.
You can’t always trust the labels on the products in grocery stores, drug stores, and online for common household cleaners, and non-toxic cleaners used in the home and for bird cages. The labels can be misleading, inaccurate, and ingredients can even be left out. [Reference] [Reference]
Unfortunately, manufacturers are not required to list the exact ingredients [Reference] on the label. Chemical names are often disguised by using innocuous “trade names.” Even if the chemical is listed on the label, you may not recognize it for what it is.
Why use a non-toxic disinfectant to clean your bird’s cage? Because the most common disinfectants such as bleach and ammonia can make adults, children,[Reference] pet birds and other pets very sick and even cause death. I read a true story about a rescued Macaw, named Monkey, who was blinded and nearly killed by common household cleaners she was exposed to. Luckily, Monkey has been recovering well, but she will never be normal again.
- Birds have a very sensitive and extensive respiratory tract of lungs that don’t expand with air sacs throughout their body. The air moves in a unidirectional flow – one direction – which makes breathing in toxic fumes such as bleach, ammonia, heated Teflon, and even fumes from self cleaning ovens causing severe illness and/or death in a bird. [Reference]
Even having these toxic cleaners in your house could cause a terrible accident even though you are careful to not use those products around your birds, someone who doesn’t know the harm those toxic products can cause might use them in a way that could be very harmful or even fatal to your bird.
A friend of mine told me her child washed her bird with a spray bottle of bleach because her little boy didn’t know any better. He wanted to clean the bird! The little bird was never the same after being sprayed with bleach. Poison such as bleach is absorbed through the skin in birds as well as the lungs. [Reference] It can cause severe tissue damage. [Reference] This very sad occurrence could have been avoided if my friend had been using non-toxic cleaners in her home such as Sol-U-Guard.
Sol-U-Guard DOES NOT contain: bleach, ammonia, abrasives, phosphates, phthalates, triclosan, parabens, formaldehyde, and quaternary disinfectants.
It’s important to learn from these 2 stories how to avoid tragedies with birds and toxic chemicals. It is dangerous to keep toxic household cleaners in your home for people that have pet birds and even children. Many children often get into toxic cleaners when a parent isn’t looking and drink from the bottles or sprays chemicals in their eyes. Why on earth were these cleaners even invented, is totally beyond my imagination.
What About Baking Soda?
Many people like to use baking soda to scrub their cages clean because it’s considered non-toxic but its residue can still be hazardous when breathed into the lungs. [Reference] Baking soda can be safe to use around birds as long as the baking soda residue has been thoroughly rinsed off. As parrot owners, we need to be extremely careful with our feathered friend’s sensitive airways.
Sol-U-guard DOES NOT contain Methylchloroisothiazolinone. Even though Methylchloroisothiazolinone is said to be a safe biocide, it has been linked to nerve damage in humans. [Reference] I have seen the ingredient listed in a popular bird safe cleaner, but I won’t use it since reading an article on a blog about human skin care products. [Reference]
Toxins are absorbed through the skin and I believe your bird could absorb the residue left behind on his cage via their feet and tongue.
- If you are NOT SURE about the safety of a product you research, then DON’T USE IT! It’s not worth the risk.
Points About Sol-U-Guard:
- “It is an EPA-registered and protected patent, botanical disinfectant, powered by thyme oil and citric acid that kills over 99.9% of common household germs. No caustic chlorine bleach or quaternary ammonium are required to kill household germs.”
- It is concentrated which saves you money and save the environment of excessive plastic waste.
- Simply mix equal parts of Sol-U-Guard Botanical concentrate to water, or add half a bottle of Sol-U-Guard Botanical concentrate to the Sol-U-Guard Botanical Mixing Spray bottle and add water to the fill line.
- As a non-toxic disinfectant, no toxic substances are released into the air that you breath.
- You need a disinfectant because one single bacteria cell can multiply into over a billion cells in just 24 hours. Using a basic, non-disinfectant cleaner will not kill the germs. A Rag and sponge will only spread the germs around with a basic cleaner without a disinfectant in it. Save money on Avian Veterinarian bills by killing harmful bacteria and viruses.
- Peace of Mind.
Your birds safety and your peace of mind are very important, as well as saving money.
If you would like to learn more about Sol-U-Guard Botanical please sign up for more information at the bottom of the page on my website here. or contact me on my Facebook page or Facebook Messenger, and I will personally reply to you with information as soon as possible! 🙂
For more, please follow me on my EnhancedLivingForToday Facebook Page.